Relishing Experience: Sev Puri at C G Road, Ahmedabad

Chaats, are one type of variety that is famous across India and every nukkad and gali will have its own style of making it. Chaats are Indian appetizer that consists of sweet, savory and tangy flavors, together.  It appeals to all people, irrespective of age.  

Just like many Indians, I too, like Chaats, especially those that are little spicy and tangy in taste. I was lucky enough to have a Chaatwala right below my ex-office, situated on C G Road, Ahmedabad. He did not had any grand shop, it was just a larry.

C G Road being hub of shopping, has many Chaatwala’s but the chaatwala who used to stand right below my ex-office used to make brilliant Sev Puri. He had also mastered other chaats like Chanachor garam and bhelpuri, yet his sev puri was unbeatable. There is something amazing thing about street food. No matter how much you eat, you cannot stop your craving for it.

It was not like he used any special or costly ingredients in it but, the experience by which he used to make Sev puri was unique. In a single plate, I used to get 8-10 puri’s. It used to have 4 layers of varied ingredients. The first layer consisted of plain slated puri’s. The second one included fillings that included boiled & mashed potatoes, finely chopped onion and tomatoes. Next layer would include different chutney’s like theekhi (spicy) chutney, meethi chutney (sweet) and khatti chutney (tangy). The last layer had generous spreading of sev, topped with freshly chopped coriander.

Is your mouth watering by reading this? Then here is an exclusive picture of the delicious Sev Puri that I thoroughly enjoyed.


Each bite or I should say each puri provided satisfied my taste buds and gave them much-needed break from work. After all, a good meal is important to do carry out any work. It has been more than 5 months since I left my last job and I really miss having Sev Puri from that chaatwala. But, I know my craving will one day surely take me there and being in Ahmedabad, I know I can fly off to C G Road anytime.

This larry is located next to Liliput showroom, near cargo motors on C G Road.

Comments